Sunday, March 29, 2009

Middle School

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

~Eleanor Roosevelt



Our two oldest children are in middle school. Remember middle school? For me it was an absolutely horrible time. My awkward body was going through all of these weird changes that I didn’t understand no matter how many After School Specials I watched or Judy Blume books I read. Not to mention the “mean girls” in eighth grade that bullied me for an entire year because some boy liked me. I don’t want that for my children. But as I remorsefully think about the mistakes I made and the tears that I cried, I realize that because I went through those horrid days, it made me …me. Now don’t get me wrong, I am far from perfect (I couldn’t be further from it) but I kind of like me. I am sometimes overly empathetic, but who couldn’t use a little thoughtfulness in their lives? I want my children to feel the same way about themselves.

So I watch and listen, and even cry for them when they aren’t looking, because…I know. (Even though they don’t believe me.) I hope that they hold the above quote in their sweet little hearts because it is very very true.



I think I will blow this quote up and hang it on the wall because there are days when I need reminding too.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

great quote!
great post!
You're awesome, Kel!
:)

Bridget said...

I kinda like you as you too! =)

It is difficult to watch certain aches that our children face, for sure.. Knowing they have an incredible mother like you, will always get them through.. XOXO

Kerrie said...

I couldn't agree more with the first two comments. :)