Monday, February 28, 2011

Lent

The season of Lent is coming and I am struggling with the decision on what I should abstain from during this notable time of the year. Alas, this happens every year. I look back at years past and it’s valuable, but I still grapple with this. One year I gave up television. Oh boy! I ended up taking a painting class at Home Depot with my good friend Erin and I sponge painted our entire house! HA! Giving up tv showed me how wasteful it is and it’s stuck with me to this day. Luckily I gave up on the sponge painting. Looking at the pictures cracks me up though! Another year (actually several) I gave up coffee. Let’s just say that my family lovingly begged me not to do this ever again! Last year I abstained from snacking between meals. At first it was a snap…I just had HUGE meals. A nice omelet with home fries for breakfast, two sandwiches and soup for lunch…LOL! I soon realized this was defeating the entire purpose and reverted back to eating regularly. No snacks was tough at first but it was extremely helpful. I had weaned Allyson from breast milk yet I was still eating as if I was a nursing mom. The no snacking one has stuck with me as well, but unfortunately at the moment, I have some health issues. I am currently dairy free, peanut free, corn free, and attempting to become gluten free! (This is really driving me batty, but I feel much better.) I am also rationed to one serving of red meat a week (I know!), so the food thing is just way too maddening right now!!! I guess I’ll let you know what I decide, and I cordially welcome (Okay I am begging you)any suggestions!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

We try something different every Lent. Have yet to find the "perfect" plan for our family. But in the past instead of giving something up, we did acts of service. They didn't have to always be BIG acts. But it made us more aware of being helpful and kind to one another as well as people outside of our family.

We also abstained from a negative behavior. I tried my hardest one year to stop being judgemental.

I know those are ideas as to what to give up, but they did help to prepare our hearts.

Let me know what you decide.

Anonymous said...

I gave up angry driving last year and Holy cow that was hard....I blessed the other drivers instead of cursing them.....the kids loved it and kept me honest. We added in saying grace every dinner one Lent and it was really nice...I may try the driving thing again but i'll let you know!

Kellybelly said...

Jamie, thank you for your suggsetions. We too participate in acts of service during lent. I love this time of year! I think the judgemental idea is a super one and I will most definately apply this to my penance. I will let you know how this goes.

Michelle,I love it! Since I am probably the type of driver that annoys you, (Rule follower...if the speed limit says 25-that is what I drive. LOL) I appreciate your blessings, and suggestions!

Jamie said...

Check out this idea

http://catholicicing.blogspot.com/2010/02/lenten-sacrifice-ideas-and-activities.html

and there's a lot of other neat ideas on her blog! For Lent and other things!

Kellybelly said...

Jamie,

I appreciate the site you gave us above! I am always looking for new ideas for my religious education class as well as home...this site is terrific!

Thank you friend!